Olive oil, for cooking
1 large red onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
200g pearl barley
300g cooked beetroot, cubed
1 litre vegetable stock , hot
100g frozen garden peas
Handful fresh mint, finely chopped
¼ cup chopped pecans
Himalayan salt and black pepper
Micro herbs to garnish or drizzle of oil
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 4–5 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the barley and cook for another minute. Add most of the beetroot, reserving some for later.
- Add the vegetable stock little by little, until the barley is soft and just tender, stirring frequently (this can take up to 30 minutes). It should be fairly moist, but not with too much liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the barley is almost cooked, add the peas and mint and cook for another 2–3 minutes. Place the remaining beetroot in a small food processor and process to a coarse purée.
- Add the purée to the finished risotto, stir well and serve on warmed plates.
- Garnish with a micro herbs and chopped pecans